Are you willing to make dad smile on his special day? Here's a great compilation of Father's Day quotes.
First celebrated in Washington state in 1910 as an accompaniment to Mother's Day, Father's Day has become an annual tradition in America.
But it didn't gain much traction at first, and was only finally signed into law in 1972, when President Richard Nixon declared that the third Sunday in June would be forever set aside as a celebration of fatherhood.
And today's the big day, so consult this list of Father's Day quotes when writing Father's Day messages, giving Father's Day speeches, or just in casual conversation. They're a great way to put a smile on the big guy's face.
Some of these Father's Day quotes are funny, some are sentimental, and some are touching, but all of them will remind your dad of how much he means to you:
- "Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope." - Bill Cosby. This Father's Day quote from Cosby, one of TV's most famous fathers, is a hilarious ode to the joys of being a father and getting crummy gifts from your kids. Though you don't really need another tie or mug, the fact that they went out and bought something for you makes the day great all the same.
- Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father!" - Lydia M. Child. This is a quote for those men out there who have created a large brood. If your dad has taken care of you and several siblings, this Father's Day quote may remind him of how lucky he is, though sometimes he may forget it.
- When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." - Mark Twain. This Father's Day quote by one of the fathers of American literature is a great one for a boy who is getting past the trying years of his adolescence. Though your dad surely already understands that it was normal teenage emotions and experiences that made you the annoying brat you were back then, that doesn't mean it's not worth letting him know you appreciate his wisdom.
- "It kills you to see them grow up. But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn't." - Barbara Kingsolver. This one is a great one for a father who is yearning for the days when his kids were still young. There are only two possibilities for anyone's children, and Kingsolver lays them out here in a fun little quote.
- Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected." - Red Buttons. The old actor and comedian Red Buttons offers sage advice here for any father. Your dad may enjoy this one, or maybe you can just keep it to yourself for a little laugh.
- "Happy Father's Day!" If you can't find a Father's Day quote that fits, you certainly can't go wrong with the three words every dad loves to hear.